Unique Dessert Ideas
You’re over the traditional tiered cake. Cupcakes are delicious, but you are looking for something less casual and familiar. The thought of a decadent and alternative dessert option is intriguing. But where do you start? We bring you some sweet and delicious ideas that may help you make your decision.
1. Mini cakes. These three inch high lovelies could be served to guests individually, or could make for beautiful additions to your dessert buffet.
Photo credit: Blog of Marry
2. Smores Bar. Bring the intimacy of a campfire to your reception. Besides, who doesn’t love Smores?
Photo credit: Wedding Wire
3. Chocolate Truffle Tower. Delight your guests with these special treats, stacked in a tower to look like a cake. Truffle lovers, beware.
Photo Credit: Martha Stewart Wedding
4. Frozen Yogurt Bar. It’s light, it’s different and can add great pops of color to your dessert table.
Photo Credit: Frosted Weddings
5. Chocolate Fondue Bar. As an alternative to doing a chocolate fountain, serve individual fondue cups filled with warm chocolate sauces, with items like marshmallows, bananas, and strawberries to dip.
Photo Credit: BizBash
6. Chocolate Covered Strawberries on Sticks. If you like the fruit and chocolate ideas but don’t want to deal with fondue, how about chocolate covered strawberries? They’re tasty, mess free, and classic. Serve with a little bubbly for an extra kick.
7. Cake Pops. Bite sized cakes on a lollipop. Be it carrot cake, devils food cake, or smores, these pops are wondrous and a beautiful addition to your dessert bar, or tiered platters.
Photo credit: Style Me Pretty
8. Ice Cream Sandwich Bar. A cute DIY dessert bar with delicious choices for guest.
Photo Credit: Wolfgang Puck
A few things to consider:
- You can still have a cake cutting! Going with an alternative dessert choice does not mean that you cannot do the ceremonial cake cutting. You can always set a small 6 inch cake atop a decorated tiered platter for the cake cutting.
- Dessert bars. Not only are they decadent, but they are a great way to incorporate your decor. Plus, you can select a variety of sweets to include in your bar, many of which can be DIY. Check out My Sweet and Saucy for some great dessert bar inspiration.